In 2010 I:
- was a new father
- had been in my new job for nearly a year
- attended my first PyCon
- owned my first home, and was learning to build and maintain it
- was part of a fantastic D&D group
- had a few couples who were phenomenally good friends
- lived in Canada
In 2019 I:
- am a proud father of a ten year old whom I love and who is always finding new ways to brighten my life
- have a son who lives 5 hours drive away from me most of the time
- am in love with and loved by Helen, who's amazing in every way
- am divorced
- have a fantastic job that I couldn't even have dreamed of back then
- have watched some of my best friends drift away and it broke my heart
- teetered on the edge of losing one of my great friends but somehow salvaged that
- have made other friends who have supported me when I needed it most
- own a gorgeous home in Seattle
In between those points are so many things that this blog barely touched on. Looking back at the decade that was... it's been a ride. I got married. Emigrated to another country. Took a terrifying job that continues to excite me. I learned what it feels like to recognize being abused. I became a feminist. I watched my son grow into from the baby I adored to the boy I love. I met my partner. I traveled to some of the most amazing places. I found career success. I rode more than 200 miles in a weekend on my bike. I got a tattoo. I found new music and old, and new friends and old.
The world continues to spiral into ... fascism, I guess? It's hard to say. We are seeing the effects of ignoring global climate change comining home to roost. The USA is in a bad place, but it's hard to say if it's the leading edge of a political wave that might sweep 3/4 century of peace away in a spasm of nationalistic violence, or if it's a last gasp from an old order that is dying and knows it.
I don't embed any comments on this site, so if you want to give me feedback on the posts you find here, I encourage you to tweet at me @offby1.